Cam Newton — Leave the man alone

By WYATT GELLER

During the past few weeks, there has been much talk about the Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton as his team cruised to a 15-1 regular season record and is now squaring off against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50.

Many people criticized Newton for his touchdown celebrations where he “dabs” in the end zone, which is his signature dance move, along with giving footballs to special fans that wear Panthers gear, mostly kids, after the team scores a touchdown.

The idea I cannot seem to understand is where all this criticism comes from.  Other than stealing a laptop back in college over six years ago, Newton has not had any off the field issues.

Langer Research Associates produced a survey for ESPN Wednesday to ask fans what the big deal is about Newton. More than 62 percent responded that it was due to his style of play on the field, 14 percent said it was a race issue as Newton is black and the other 24 percent were uncertain.

I definitely fall in that 24 percent category, as I do not even know the source of all the criticism.  Maybe they are not used to the recent success the Panthers have had since they became a recent playoff team.  Another suggestion would be the magnitude of the Super Bowl and that Newton is only the 6th black quarterback to play in the Super Bowl, but I do not see a race issue at all.

Michael Rosenberg, who writes for Sports Illustrated, stated that, “I’ve never met anybody who felt that way. I’ve never heard anybody talk about it. I hear people criticizing his critics, but I don’t see the critics themselves.”

This is what other notable people have mentioned including former quarterback Warren Moon and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman.  Moon is an African-American and he had never faced such backlash as Newton is now.

The media has gotten players and fans opinions, but no exact answer has been given.  That is what bothers me the most, as they need to stop talking about the criticism against Newton, as he does not deserve it.

There is no best case scenario to why there is hate towards Newton, but he knows that none of the reports that the media put out about him will matter on Sunday.