Baylor coach apologizes for comment

By ERYKAH DAVENPORT

Back in January 2017, a lawsuit was filed by a former student that attended Baylor University. Allegedly, 31 different Baylor football players committed 52 “acts of rape” between 2011 and 2014, which was reported by CBS Sports.

After gaining a well-deserved win 500 over Texas Tech, Baylor women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey made a comment that caused tremendous controversy. Reported by John Elizondo of ABC, Mulkey said this to the crowd in attendance at the Ferrell Center following Baylor’s win over Texas Tech: “If someone around you ever says I’ll never send my daughter to Baylor, you knock them right in the face.”

She has recently released an apology after comments made last week regarding the school’s sexual assault scandal. According to ESPN, Mulkey stated, “I’m sorry for those choice of words, timing wasn’t good, poor analogy as well, because if you know me, I’m an emotional person, coached and coached with emotion. It all got the best of me, because I love this place. A lot of bad things happened here, but I’ve always thought about the victims.”

Mulkey previously expressed regret for those comments in an interview with Mechelle Voepel of espnW.com Tuesday.

“I hate that I used the remark about punching them in the face,” Mulkey said. “That was not literal. I was trying to make a point, to be firm in what you are saying back at them. I’m not a violent person. I apologize for the very poor choice of words.”