By ALEJANDRO GRANDA
Three Miami restaurants had enough roaches to be shut down for the day while eight were cited for live roaches and 11 others cited for dead ones.
Latin American Restaurant at 1590 Coral Way was closed for the day for having “seven plus live roaches found inside oven in cookline area,” “extreme amount of flies all around the kitchen area” and “slicer blade guard soiled with old food debris.” Customers also insisted on bottled water because there was an “accumulation of black/green mold-like substance” around the soda dispensing nozzles and the ice machine.
Wong’s on 12420 Biscayne Blvd., in North Miami, had two high priority violations, but one was the excess amount of roaches: “six live roaches on preparation (table) behind soy sauce box, six live roaches under preparation table, five in the reach in cooler gasket, two by hand washing sink, three on the oven door.”
Yumm Yumm 2000 Cafe Del Mar in Miami Beach, at 710 Washington Ave., #1, was the third and final location to be shut down for roaches, which could be spotted upon entering the front door: “Two live roaches observed, one by door frame at entrance of establishment, the other under soda fountain. Another live roach observed by chest freezer in back of restaurant. Another roach observed by telephone behind kitchen and one more in storage in the back of the restaurant. Another roach was observed under coffee machine.” Other violations include the handwash sink not accessible for employee use because of items stored in the sink, soiled/stained can opener blade and cutting boards, and an accumulation of black/green mold-like substance around the ice machine.
The Miami Herald does a great job reporting these nasty violations, showing readers to think twice before going to these restaurants and take caution if they decide to eat in them.