Palestinian teacher wins $1 million

By VICTORIA DE CARDENAS

An elementary teacher has won a $1 million prize recognizing the “outstanding contribution” she has made to her profession.

Hanan Al Hroub, from Bethlehem in the West Bank, was awarded the Global Teacher Prize at a ceremony in Dubai Sunday.

Hroub became a teacher after her husband and her children were shot on the way home from school. “It transformed my children’s behaviors, personalities and academics,” she says in a video broadcast on CNN. “I felt that I was alone in getting my children through this. No teachers had helped us get my children back on track.”

Hroub and her family decided to take matters into her own hand. They created games amongst themselves and invited the neighborhood children to play.

Over time, the children’s behavior and grades began to improve. She took those skills and began teaching to help children reject violence.

“I tell all the teachers, whether they are Palestinian or around the world: ‘Our job is humane, its goals are noble,” says Hroub. “We must teach our children that our only weapon is knowledge and education.”

Pope Francis announced the award to Hroub via video conference. “I would like to congratulate the teacher Hanan Al Hroub for winning this prestigious prize due to the importance that she gave to the role of play in a child’s education,” Francis said.

It is moments like this that the media should focus in on every detail. A story like this could boost the overall moral in the country and across the globe. Instead the media likes to focus presidential hopefuls who say very disturbing things and agitate the public.

In order for the country and the world to move forward and accept one another of different faiths, race and beliefs, we need stories like this. Stories of people that invest in children and the betterment of the world around us.

I saw this article earlier this week and it only came up once in my newsfeed, but I saw plenty of stories on the negatives of life. I understand that the news gives people what they want but how about giving the people what they need? An uplifting story like this one shouldn’t be so hard to locate on a news website or hear it in front of a television.

News should consider giving an outlet to uplifting news.