Man imprisoned for 17 years freed

By NEYDJA PETITHOMME

Convicted 17 years ago, Richard Jones, 41, has been overturned when University of Kansas School of Law helped uncover what was believed to be an unjust conviction.

“I hope and prayed every day for this day to come, and when it finally got here it was an overwhelming feeling,” Jones said in an interview with ABC News’ “Good Morning America.”

Nearly 20 years ago, Jones was wrongfully convicted after trying to steal a purse in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart in Roeland Park, Kan. According to authorities, Jones had an alibi as to her whereabouts. It was told that DNA and fingerprints never linked Jones to the crime.

This is problematic, if Jones can be wrongful conviction due to eyewitness misidentification, what does this mean to countless of innocent victims placed in prison due to being unlawfully accused Jones teamed with “the Midwest Innocence Project and the Project for Innocence at the University of Kansas School of Law.” During his time in prison, Jones overheard of a man in incarceration who looked just like him.

The Kansas state system followed in on a man named Ricky Amos, 39. Both men executed the age, similar skin tone, the same facial hair and cornrows.

“Once I had seen his picture beside mine and I seen the resemblance me and him had, I just knew,” Jones said. “It was understandable why other people would say the same thing.””It was hard,” Jones said. “I won’t say it was easy because it wasn’t, but I made it through.”

What need to be done, is figuring out a better solution to figuring out who the victim is, we cannot continue figuring out who is who just out of looks, and merely no facts. This cannot continue, if the country what to find better result. Because of the lack of focus, and integrity to get it right, we the people placed an innocent man before bars for 17 years. Thankfully, he is not looking to press charge on the government for lost of years.

Jones said he is enjoying his family, keeping his faith in God and wants to work with The Innocence Project to give freedom to others who are wrongfully convicted.